Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Understanding Comics

Well, I found it strange but cool that I was reading a comic book about comics. Although, I wasn't really sure how to take it at first. I mean, McCloud told us things that we basically knew already but just didn't think about. Like how the human mind can see a circle, two dots and a line and see a face in the midst. But that we were so trained that it would always look like a face. He also mentions how we're a selfish species, looking for "faces" in everything; ie: houses, cars etc...)But when i finished the reading, I realized that it kinda shed a whole new light on comics. (for me anyways). Suddenly, the concept of comics didn't revolve around Batman or spiderman.
OH and before i forget, I was actually able to tie a lot of things that McCloud was saying to my "Aspects of Art" class. The ideas are similar when describing art work, whether its a painting or a graphic memoir. I thought it was cool, especially when he showed "the treachery of images" because I wasnt very familiar with the drawing, i had only seen it for the first time in my art class a week before. And the artowkr was explained to me. I liked the ideas behind it, so when he showed the work of art and then explained it, I smiled a little.
The idea of readining graphic text about readining graphic text was a strange concept at first. But the more i read, the more i liked it. Ill admit, there were pages where id "read" them and then have to read them again because the information just wasnt sticking. But i think thats something we all find, whether in a text book or just in general with things.

No comments: