Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Fishing Story

Whoa. I'm a fan.
At first, I wasn't too intrigued with her descriptions. It was nice but I was bored. But then she started talking about how her grandmother has a failing memory. Interesting how the pretty stuff is boring but the tragic stuff is what we find interesting. (people can deny that all they want, but why do they think that something like the news is so captivating for some of us?) Anyways, my favorite part of this essay is when she starts talking about the fishing story. It kind of reminded me of the notebook. (lame?) I loved the way she paints the picture, the repetitiveness, and especially the silence. "They didnt exchange more than 10 words the entire time..") Other than that part, some of the quick comments that Richards makes are kind of entertaining. I realize that there's nothing humorous about death and a failing memory but i think, sometimes the best way to cope with something, is to laugh about it. She mentions the joke she has with her grandmother about "done shit and flew", and even just the way she says some things like : "we tune out until we hear the key word that signals the end..." Richards is right, is does sound rude but there's something about the way that she writes the essay that sheds a positive light on a terrible situation. It makes me realize that we all have tragic things that happen in our lives, but we chose how to deal with them. And when telling the story to others we show exactly how the situation is affecting us without even realizing it.

No comments: