Monday, September 15, 2008

Benson: "The Sparkling Eyed Boy"

This was my favorite essay. Why? Well it was the shortest but that's not the true reason...or the only reason, rather. Hah. you see, the essay packed a lot into the 2 pages that it took up and I was a fan. I'm convinced that i like all the essays that no one else likes. Haha i bet everyone will say that they hated "The Sparkling Eyed boy". Anyways, I thought the essay was interesting. The beginning was super interesting. Think about it, the "sparkling eyed boy did not love my sister", ....but he loved everything else. Classic! The narrator goes on to describe her sister and how she was different and boys liked her and all the jazz. Then at the end, BANG! ,"the sparkling eyed boy may have loved me, but he didn't love my sister." I loved the way it began and ended like that. It was super sweet. The sparkling eyed boy, does not necessarily sound like an ugly kid. He could have been the kid with telescope eyes and braces or zits all over his face. But, instead, he was the "sparkling eyed boy". The narrator chalked up her sister to be something amazing and made herself seem so awkward and lame only to find that the "sparkling eyed boy" was more interested in her, than her sister. At least, this all was my interpretation. What i don't understand is this: why does she say that shes not sure where her sister ends and she begins? And then she goes on to mention about how her sister despises that idea, which I think is interesting because her sister is supposed to be the "cool" one yet shes unhappy with her life and the choices shes made.

2 comments:

Lauren K. Hansen said...

I think that the brilliance of this story (yes - I have gone from disliking the piece to loving it after reading all the responses) is that the incongruence of her love/hate relationship with her sister is so like that sibling relationship many of us have.

kelsey said...

I didnt like this peice but your are right about it packing alot into 2 pages. Without actually writing alot the author says alot about the sisters relationships. Nice insight in your post.