Monday, October 6, 2008

Fun Home Chs 3-7

Alright. So I'm still totally "diggin" this "tragicomic". The story being told is real and interesting. It's something that i enjoy reading. It deals with homosexuality, possible suicide, sex, and comic relief. Those components help make a good page turner. Anyways, Let me start at the end and work my way to the beginning. Alison portrays her father in a new way towards the end. He's no longer the obsessive compulsive, cold hearted perfectionist. Suddenly, he seemed caring. You can actually SEE him happy, and see him having fun with her. Last class, i remember pointing out a panel where he was supposedly being happy and singing to her before she fell asleep but the panel was dark so you never saw the emotion. Here at the end of the story, you see panels where they're together; smiling. I realize its no coincidence and I liked the way she did that. It's like, once she found out that he was a homosexual, she started to look at her father in a whole new way, and so should we. We were made to look at him in a better, more open- minded way and again, I really like how she put it all together. Also, my favorite part, or at least one of my favorite parts has to be on pg 213 when the two girls sit down to eat with her and start mentioning a lesbian singer. Alison then says "Lesbian singers? These people are weird....maybe i'm not a homo after all". It was a good place to add in some comic relief. Especially after receivng the letter from her father about him thinking that she thought he was a queer. (what a mouthful)


At one point, Alison goes home for a break, and everyone ends up leaving. She's left alone with her mother and her mother starts spilling about all the affairs she knew about and pretty much everything. The one question that stuck in my mind throughout the story, especially during the pages with Roy and Bill around; is why did Alison's mother stick around? Why did she put up with that for so many years? She was clearly unhappy. I mean, I'm not sure what I would have done in such a situation, but I'm still curious as to why she put up with it.


Ah! I have so much to talk about but nothing to talk about at the same time.
I guess I'll end this talking about when Alison goes into detail about her family. On page 134, she says "Our home was like an artists' colony. We ate together but otherwise were absorbed in our separate pursuits....And in this isolation, our creativity took on an aspect of compulsion."

I found this part interesting. She shows how disconnected they are as a family but how connected they are to themselves and the things that they liked to do.

No comments: